1. To Live’s To Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt by John Kruth, was released in 2007.
2. In 2008, the University of North Texas Press published Robert Earl Hardy’s A Deeper Blue: The Life and Music of Townes Van Zandt.
3. I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt by Brian T. Atkinson was released in 2012.
4. My Years with Townes Van Zandt (2018) by his road manager Harold F. Eggers tells larger-than-life stories from the road in close-ups.
5. Another Mickey. Ruminations Of A Texas Guitar Slinger (2021) is a well-written memoir by Mickey White, Townes’ long-time collaborator. Up close and personal.
6. In Without Getting Killed or Caught: The Life and Music of Guy Clark Tamara Saviano reveals deep insight into the relationship between Townes, Guy und Susan Clark (2016).
7. Songbuilder: The Life and Music of Guy Clark by Nick Evans, Jeff Horne. Another biography with many references to Townes from 1998.
8. Richard Dobson: The Gulf Coast Boys. First, published in 1996. Offshore adventures and tales from the road with Townes Van Zandt and the Hemmer Ridge Mountain Boys.
9. Autobiography One Man’s Music. The Life and Times of Texas Songwriter Vince Bell has some good Townes stories. Publication Year: 2009.
10. Kathleen Hudson’s excellent Telling Stories, Writing Songs: An Album of Texas Songwriters pays tribute to Townes in many of its portraits (2001).
11. Paul Zollo’s Songwriters on Songwriting from 2003 presents interviews with more than fifty popular songwriters including Townes.
12. Blaze Foley – From Misfit to Legend by Carmen and Kai Nees from 2018 rarely mentions Townes, nevertheless, should not miss in any collection. A follow-up is expected in 2021/2022, keep your eyes open, it will be worth it.
13. Canciones tristes que no quieres escuchar. Vida y música de Townes Van Zandt by José M. Gala (Elena Design Editores, 2018) is a hard-to-find work of love in Spanish language.
14. For the Sake of the Song: Essays on Townes Van Zandt by editors Anne Norton Holbrook and Dan Beller-McKenna (2022) collects ten essays that open up new perspectives and comes closest to a scientific paper.
If you like the page you’re watching right now, you can’t go wrong with my own books:
13. A Haven For Songs, from 2021. English language. Actually, this is where this overview is taken from,
14. Ich bin der neue Hilmar und trauriger als Townes, from 2016. German language.
15. Hankfurt, from 2019. German language.