Books about Townes Van Zandt – 14 recommendations:
1. In 2008, the University of North Texas Press published Robert Earl Hardy’s A Deeper Blue: The Life and Music of Townes Van Zandt.
2. I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt by Brian T. Atkinson was released in 2012.
3. Martin Wimmer, Trauriger als Townes (Sadder than Townes) is a great tribute, published in Germany 2016.
4. Hankfurt, another collection of essays by German music writer Martin Wimmer from 2019, has several pieces about Townes, incl. a reliable annotated discography.
5. To Live’s To Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt by John Kruth, was released in 2007.
6. My Years with Townes Van Zandt (2018) by his road manager Harold F. Eggers tells larger-than-life stories from the road in close-ups.
7. In Without Getting Killed or Caught: The Life and Music of Guy Clark Tamara Saviano reveals deep insight into the relationship between Townes, Guy und Susan Clark (2016).
8. Songbuilder: The Life and Music of Guy Clark by Nick Evans, Jeff Horne, another biography with many references to Townes from 1998.
9. Richard Dobson: The Gulf Coast Boys First, published in 1996, offshore adventures and tales from the road with Townes Van Zandt and the Hemmer Ridge Mountain Boys.
10. Autobiography One Man’s Music. The Life and Times of Texas Songwriter Vince Bell has some good Townes stories. Publication Year: 2009.
11. Kathleen Hudson’s Telling Stories, Writing Songs: An Album of Texas Songwriters pays tribute to Townes in many of its portraits (2001).
12. Paul Zollo‘s Songwriters on Songwriting from 2003 presents interviews with more than fifty popular songwriters including Townes.
13. Blaze Foley – From Misfit to Legend by Carmen and Kai Nees from 2018 rarely mentions Townes, nevertheless should not miss in any collection.
14. Canciones tristes que no quieres escuchar. Vida y música de Townes Van Zandt by José M. Gala (Elena Design Editores, 2018) is a hard to find work of love in Spanish language.